Sunday, September 7, 2014

Korea Drama Festival 2014 Nominations List




A new  and (relatively unknown) awards show is showing up this year, Korea Drama Festival 2014 or usually called KDF. Taken from Visit Korea website, The Korea Drama Festival, first started in 2006, is an event celebrating Korean dramas—loved not only by Koreans, but by people all around the world. I don’t know if it’s such prestigious and accountable award in Korea, but at least it include both cable and major networks shows. Though truth to be told, I’m left scratching my head at some nominations and you will wonder if South Korea only produces 10 shows or so during 2013-2014. Without further ado, let’s take a look at some nominations, my favorite to win, and most likely to win.

Nominations List
1. Daesang (Grand Prize)

-Ha Ji Won (Empress Ki)
-Kim Soo Hyun (You From Another Star)
-Jeon Ji Hyun (You From Another Star)
-Jo Jae Hyun (Jeong Do Jeon)
Favorite to win: Ha Ji Won. As a diehard Empress Ki fan, it’s really difficult not to root for the empress. She also didn’t win Baeksang and SIDA this year so I hope she’ll win this.
Most likely to win: Jun Ji Hyun, she proves she deserves A-list status through YFAS. International fans love her and her duet with Kim Soo Hyun. She’ll win this if it’s based on my feeling. 

2. Best Picture

-Empress Ki
-King’s Family/Wang Family
-Secret Love Affair
-You From Another Star
-Jeong Do Jeon
Favorite to win: Empress Ki. If you question the drama or the cinematography, please watch horse-riding scene at the beach or rose petal/CPR kiss, then you’ll understand the cinematography is really good. Moreover it’s also my most favorite than other shows nominated. I won’t say it’s best drama of all time, but it (mostly) satisfies me.
Most likely to win: You From Another Star. Tough contender for Empress Ki as the drama also beautifully shot with so many CGI effects and lovely palette to look at. It’s a drama with thoughtful and careful directing from start to finish. Not to mention two main settings, Joseon and modern Korea makes it even more outstanding.

3. Best Screenwriter
-Kim Sun Ok (Jang Bori is Here)
-Park Ji Eun (You From Another Star)
-Jung Hyun Min (Jeong Do Jeon)
-Lee Woo Jung (Reply 1994)
-Jung Sung Joo (Secret Love Affair)
Favorite to win: You From Another Star. A love story between 400-year old alien boy (KSH’s nickname in a forum) and top actress. Despite its flaws, I love the story. Besides, I never finish or watch the other dramas nominated, either too boring or not my taste
Most likely to win: You From Another Star. Simply because YFAS is much more popular than the others.

4. Best Director

-Han Hee, Lee Sung Joon (Empress Ki)
-Jang Tae Yoo (You From Another Star)
-Kang Shin Hyo, Boo Sung Chul (Heirs)
-Ahn Pan Suk (Secret Love Affair)
-Shin Won Hyo (Reply 1994)
Favorite to win: Jang Tae Yoo! My favorite PD who directed my favorite drama, Painter Of The Wind. He’s one talented PD with good eyes on beauty, romantic love story, interluding with funny moments. Love him as always.
Most likely to win: Ahn Pan Suk. He’s also great but I never finish Secret Love Affair. He’s really popular among PDs and Korean movie/drama industry, so I think he will get a nod in this one.

5. Outstanding Actor

-Ji Chang Wook (Empress Ki)
-Lee Seung Gi (You From Another Star)
-Lee Jong Suk (Doctor Stranger)
-Kim Jae Joong (Triangle)
-Yoo Ah In (Secret Love Affair)
Favorite to win: Ji Chang Wook. My love, my favorite actor, my poor actor Ji Chang Wook rarely gets recognition he deserves. His role in Empress Ki is such a difficult and complex character but he can portray it very convincingly until the very end. If he doesn’t win any award for his role in Empress Ki (beside last year’s Excellence Award on MBC DA) I’ll lose hope on drama awards anymore.
Most likely to win: Lee Jong Suk. Sadly, if we look at popularity, rating, etc, Lee Jong Suk is most likely to win. As much as I love Lee Jong Suk, I despise Doctor Stranger to the core and hope it will never get any nomination at any award. Sad, but true, Lee Jong Suk tried but eventually can’t save himself and Doctor Stranger from black hole of negativity.

6. Outstanding Actress
-Oh Yeon Seo (Jang Bori Is Here)
-Hwang Jung Eum (Secret, Endless Love)
-Lee Ji Ah (Thrice Married Woman)
-Choi Ji Woo (Suspicious Housekeeper)
-Kim Hee Ae (Secret Love Affair)
Favorite to win: Kim Hee Ae. Simply because Kim Hee Ae acts better than anyone else in this category.
Most likely to win: Kim Hee Ae.

7. Excellent Actor 


-Kim Woo Bin (Heirs)
-Park Hae Jin (You From Another Star)
-Seo In Guk (High School King)
-Lee Kwang Soo (It’s Okay It’s Love)
-Choi Jin Hyuk (Heirs)
Favorite to win: Kim Woo Bin. He’s the reason I stay with Heirs until the end. Yes, his Choi Young Do is amazing, awesome, makes me love him even more after The Heirs. Kim Woo Bin’s portrayal of Choi Young Do makes me root for him to change for a better person. Add his trademark “eyebrow acting” he’s my favorite.
Most likely to win: #PrayforKimWooBin

8. Excellent Actress
-Kang So Ra (Doctor Stranger)
-Park Han Byul (One Well-Raised Daughter)
-Baek Jin Hee (Empress Ki)
-Lee Jin (Shining Romance)
-Jeon So Min (Aurora Princess)
Favorite to win: Baek Jin Hee. Tanashiri who we love to hate, Baek Jin Hee is young talented actress likely to have succesful career in Korea. She displays wide range of emotions and expressions and can pull off wide variety of characters. Just look at her resume and her characters from other drama are completely different from her Tanashiri in Empress Ki, known as jealous, delusional, crazy, psycho first Yuan empress.
Most likely to win: I hope Baek Jin Hee will win. 

9. Best New Actor
-Son Ho Joon (Reply 1994)
-Ahn Jae Hyun (You From Another Star)
-Lee Yi Kyung (You From Another Star)
-Lee Joon (Gapdong)
-Seo Kang Joon (Cunning Single Lady)
Favorite to win: Son Ho Joon. Haitai!! Love his Haitai in Reply 1994. He’s really hilarious, a comic relief and always ends up unlucky with women. He becomes my favorite in the drama.
Most likely to win: Either Seo Kang Joon or Ahn Jae Hyun.

10. Best New Actress
-Go Sung Hee (Miss Korea)
-Kim Ga Eun (I Hear Your Voice)
-Dasom (Melody Of Love)
-Dohee (Reply 1994)
-Jun Hyo Sung (My Dear Cat)
Favorite to win: Do Hee. Her stare will pierce through your heart. LOL. She’s good in Reply 1994. Love her and her romance with Samcheonpo. She’s also better than the others.
Most likely to win: Do Hee. She gets recognition and Reply 1994 is very popular.

11. Best Child Actor
-Kim Ji Young (Jang Bori Is Here)
-Kim Yoo Bin (God’s Gift 14 Days)
-Hong Hwa Ri (Wonderful Days)
Favorite to win: Kim Yoo Bin. Ever since Mandate Of Heaven, I have soft spot for this little girl. Although her character in GG14Days is a bit annoying.
Most likely to win: Kim Yoo Bin. Can’t wait to see her cute speech again on the stage!

12. Best OST
-Lyn – “My Destiny” (You From Another Star)
-Hyorin – “Hello, Goodbye” (You From Another Star)
-Yoon Mi Rae – “Touch Love” (Master’s Sun OST)
Favorite to win: Lyn – “My Destiny”. I like it far better than the other two although I admit it’s a bit overplayed in YFAS. Not as bad as “Love Is The Moment” though.
Most likely to win: Lyn. It’s fans’ favorite too.

After seeing this nominations list, although I agree on most since it’s clearly based on popularity and ratings, I also left perplexed by the choices. If there’s I Hear Your Voice and God’s Gift 14 Days nominations, why no one nominate Lee Bo Young and Jo Seung Woo? Am I the only one who remember Lee Bo Young and Jo Seung Woo? Lee Bo Young was great in I Hear Your Voice, it’s hit drama and I like Lee Jong Suk’s character much more than in Doctor Stranger. For Jo Seung Woo, there’s no word to describe this perfect ahjussi playing Ki Dong Chan in God’s Gift 14 Days. Or maybe the judges have blank memory like Ki Dong Chan and doesn’t remember anything about him? 
Are these two not good enough to get any nonimations?
Then how about So Ji Sub and Gong Hyo Ji in Master Sun or Jo In Sung in It’s Okay It’s Love? It’s also quite surprising for me Heirs got many nominations, especially Lee Min Ho for Daesang. No offense to Lee Min Ho, but his character is so badly written in Heirs and sadly he didn’t act to cover his character flaws and can only act with given materials. Though I’m relieved I don’t see Heirs, Empress Ki, and God’s Gift 14 Days screenwriters on Best Screenwriter nominations, because it would be ridiculous. For now, I’ll just enjoy whatever they give to us. I don’t know if the award will be based on voting or there’s competent judges. I just hope may the best wins!

The event itself will be held in Gyeongnam Culture and Art Center at Oct 1, 2014 18.00-20.30 KST. Red carpet event will start from 17.00 KST.
From now on, let’s pray for your favorites!


No comments:

Post a Comment